Chris-Marine has launched an advanced camera for cylinder liner condition monitoring to evaluate cylinder condition parameters and help reduce maintenance and repair times for vessels.
The camera documents cylinder condition in 15 minutes, without the need to remove the cylinder cover or exhaust value housing. The images captured by the camera are used to evaluate things like presence of cylinder honing marks and wave-cut groove extension, black lacquering and bore polish, size of cylinder wear edge and cleanliness of ring land. The pictures can also be used to inspect exhaust valve, fuel injector valves, lube oil injection area and start air valve.
“The launch of our Cylinder Liner Condition Camera LCC is an important step for us and for our customers,” said Alexander Malt, global sales & marketing director at Chris-Marine. “We know that at least 10 per cent of newbuildings need to have their cylinder liners replaced already before the first dry-docking, a costly consequence of failing to keep the liners in top condition. However, this problem can easily be prevented and that’s where our camera comes into play. LCC detects and documents abnormal surface conditions and helps the engine crew determine if measures need to be taken. By monitoring the condition of the liner regularly, severe damage to the engine can be prevented and unnecessary investments avoided.”
The LLC includes:
- 4 built-in cameras to enable photography of the complete liner running surface, cylinder cover, lube oil injection area, exhaust valve, start air valve and injector valves.
- It is capable of in situ cylinder condition documentation of 2-stroke engines with a bore size from 480 to 980 mm.
- LCC is made up of high-temperature resistant electronic components and batteries allowing operation without lowering engine coolant temperature for most engine types.
- With fully charged batteries it is possible to document up to 14 cylinders and time required per cylinder is approximately 15 minutes.
- Tools for centering, inserting and extracting the camera and checking clearance at TDC are included with the LCC.
- There is no need to remove cylinder cover or exhaust valve housing when using the LCC (only venting of combustion chamber is necessary, e.g. by opening the indicator valve).
- The LCC can be combined with Chris-Marine’s Liner Diameter Measurement Instrument LDM by using the LDM tablet.