DNV has highlighted five key lessons to learn on hydrogen as a marine fuel in its latest industry insight article.
Following the completion of the first phase of the MarHySafe joint development project (JDP), which saw a consortium of 26 partners come together to address the challenges surrounding hydrogen operations, DNV has pointed to key lessons learnt so far, including:
- Knowledge gaps: More testing needed on the safety aspects of handling, storage and bunkering hydrogen
- Safety: Hydrogen’s unique properties make it very different from natural gas
- Fuel system: Use hydrogen in its pure form when possible
- Framework: The Alternative Design process is currently the best approach
- Implementation: Scaling up hydrogen operations will be a challenge
Read more about the lessons learned so far in the full article by DNV here.